River landscape and historic towns
The route starts at the source of the River Leine in the Thuringian town of Eichsfeld and takes you through a slightly hilled river landscape and past lovely historic towns. Everywhere along the route you have a choice of interesting things to see and to visit.
Suggested route for a one-day tour: 44 km to Schneverdingen and back
This circular tour will take you from the town of Schneverdingen, famous for its heather blossoms, and through the region’s most beautiful heath areas. You will pass through Niederhaverbeck, which hosts a nature information centre, and the traffic-free town of Wilsede until finally reaching Undeloh. Here you can visit the Heide-Erlebnis Zentrum and learn about the purple blossoming plants. With a little luck a herd of sheep will cross your path, or the wild horses, native of Dülmen, will emerge from the woods along the way.
In a nutshell
- Length of route: 413 kilometres in total
- Sights: Slightly hilled river landscapes • historic towns • forested regions • manor house gardens
- Trail conditions: The cycle path is mostly level and easy to ride along. It comprises partially asphalted, partially natural trail, as well as several agricultural roads.
- Signage: The entire trail is signposted with the 'Leine-Heide-Radweg' logo.
- Special features: Cyclist-friendly accommodation • Leine-Heide-Radweg-Navigator (interactive map)