From Cuxland to Hamburg
Within the Hamburg Metropolitan Region, the route leads you from the Cuxland to the Altes Land on the Elbe and all the way to the city of Hamburg. From here, you cycle westbound through the Elbe marshes to Dithmarschen. In the course of your journey, you will pass by the Wadden Sea, dykes, lighthouses, windmills, historic villages and Hanseatic towns – always accompanied by a gentle sea breeze.
Suggested route for a one-day tour: 76.5 km from Cuxhaven to Stade
You start your tour in Cuxhaven. Heading upstream along the River Elbe, you will pass by the seaside resort of Otterndorf and the municipality of Wingst. As you pedal along, the landscape changes from the flat Hadeln region to a slightly more hilled geest landscape. Once you have arrived in Hemmoor, you will cross the Oste using Germany’s oldest cable ferry. The route then takes you to Grossenwörden and Himmelspforten and to the Hanseatic Town of Stade with its beautiful old town.
In a nutshell
- Length of route: Approx. 6,000 kilometres in total
- Sights: Dunes • Wadden Sea and open sea • various nature and bird protection reserves • the Wadden Sea, a UNESCO Word Heritage site
- Trail conditions: Nearly the entire trail is asphalted and leads along dykes, cycle paths, secondary roads and low-traffic country roads.
- Signage: The entire trail is signposted with the 'North Sea Cycle Route' logo.
- Special features: Elbe-Radwanderbus (bus service between April and October during weekends and on bank holidays) in the Altes Land Region
GPX data, maps, information and free brochures:
Tourismusverband Landkreis Stade/Elbe e. V.
Kirchenstieg 30 · D-21720 Grünendeich
Phone: +49 41 42 81 38 38
Weitere Infos: Urlaubsregion Altes Land (in German) | Elbe-Radwanderbus (in German) | North Sea Cycle Route