Long-distance cycle routes and recommended tours
Three long-distance cycle routes crisscross the region: The Weser-Harz-Heath Cycle Route, the Lüneburg Heath Cycle Route and the Ilmenau Cycle Route, which connects you with the Elbe Cycle Route. Excellent connectivity by rail and a free seasonal bus service make this region a very good choice.
Suggested route for a one-day tour: 39 km to Bad Bevensen and back
Leading you from Bad Bevensen through a slightly hilled landscape, the 'Wald und mehr' tour is one of the 36 themed tours of the ADFC RadReiseRegion Uelzen. A vast array of forest and nature, a tractor museum, a driving range, a climbing path and the Jod-Sole-Therme health spa are all within easy reach. Near Haassel, the 'kings’ graves' dating from the Stone Age are well worth a visit. Arrival by train is recommended. In Bad Bevensen you will find rental bikes and a broad range of accommodation.
In a nutshell
- Length of route: 434.5 km of ADFC-certified cycle route, approx. 900 km in total
- Sights: Jod-Sole-Therme (health spa) in Bad Bevensen • Hundertwasser train station in Uelzen • Medingen Abbey and Ebstorf abbey • museum village in Hösseringen • Bodenteich Castle
- Trail conditions: While most of the paths are asphalted, there are also a few earth and forest paths. The route is mostly level and low in traffic.
- Signage: All of the 36 themed routes and long-distance trails are signposted with their own logo.
- Special features: Cyclist-friendly restaurants and cafés • repair kits available from all tourist information points • at weekends between early June and early October: Three free bus services for cyclists
GPX data, maps, information and free brochures:
HeideRegion Uelzen e. V.
Phone: +49 58 17 30 40
Heideregion Uelzen (in German)