Connecting the North Sea with the Baltic Sea, the Kiel Canal runs from Brunsbüttel to Kiel and so does the cycle path. You can cycle side by side with giant ships, through idyllic landscapes, or take a detour to one of the nearby lakes: A tour through Schleswig-Holstein is certainly a most memorable experience for any cyclist.
Suggested route for a one-day tour: 35 km from Rendsburg to Sehestedt and back
You start your tour at the railway bridge in Rendsburg and pass through the pedestrian tunnel of the Kiel Canal – the most frequently used man-made sea shipping road in the world. Cycling along with the queens of the ocean at your side you arrive at Brauer‘s Aalkate, one of the last of the canal’s fishmongers, and a little later at the Steinwehr raspberry farm. From Sehestedt you can take the ferry to the north side of the canal, where you can return to Rendsburg.
In a nutshell
- Length of route: 325 kilometres in total
- Sights: Numerous historic buildings and technical monuments • bridges • ferries • canal locks • ocean liners
- Trail conditions: A well-surfaced cycle lane has been provided all the way from Brunsbüttel to Kiel. Priority should be given to the traffic of the water and shipping administration on the lanes along the Kiel Canal.
- Signage: The entire trail is signposted with the 'Nord-Ostsee-Kanal-Route' logo.
- Special features: Cyclist-friendly accommodation • combination of cycling tour and boat trip